Poetry South is a national journal that considers all kinds of poetry. Though we pay particular attention to writers from the South — born, raised, or living here — all poetry within our covers has a claim to the South because it is published here. The magazine has a tradition of including poets from other regions in the US and other countries. We are looking for a great mix of styles and voices that will appeal to our audience and breathe new life into the poetry of the South.
- Send 1-4 unpublished poems in Word or RTF format
- Include a brief bio of 100 words or less, written in third person. Bios will be edited to fit in our contributor's notes.
- Include your mailing address with your submission, so we can send a contributor's copy
- We do consider long poems. Poems of more than two typed pages should be considered as 2 poems in your submission packet.
- We do accept simultaneous submissions. Please withdraw your poem immediately through our submissions manager if it is accepted elsewhere or contact us if one or two poems out of a file of 4 poems needs to be withdrawn. Depending on where we are in our reading cycle, it may be best to withdraw the packet and resubmit.
Our annual submission deadline is July 15. Submissions made after that date will be considered for the following year's issue, though response times may be longer. Our reading period for each new issue typically begins in January or after the current year's issue hits the press, though submissions are welcome after August 1.
Please note: we no longer have a limit on free submissions.
Please submit up to 4 poems of any style.
Order one or more copies of our current new issue that will ship in December 2021.
Please add international shipping if your shipping address is outside the United States (unless it is an APO or FPO address).
We will send one back issue of our choice.